Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Boy Scouts of America Museum

Mondays are free days at the BSA museum in Irving. We figured since Dallin was turning 8 and starting scouts this week this would be a great way to start off.  Unfortunately mom forgot the camera so you aren't going to be able to enjoy any photographic evidence of the event.  
Our favorite activities were the shooting gallery, the pinewood derby track, and the parachute game.  It was fun to learn about the origins of the scouting program. They also had an art gallery of pictures by Norman Rockwell depicting scouts in various situations.  

While we were there we picked up a boy scout shirt and a book for Dallin.  Here's the new scout all dressed up. Man he looks handsome! What is it about a boy in a uniform?? We are excited to see Dallin growing up and learning so much. 

While we were there we met a dad who proudly pulled a pinewood derby car from a box and told us that it was his sons car and that it won all the races last year.  Then he pulled out a new car and said,"This is the car for this years race. I come on Mondays to test them on the pinewood derby track."
Ummm who's car is it?  All of the sudden I had flashbacks of the frantic parents desperately thrusting eggs into their 2 year olds Easter basket.  Hopefully Dallin's troop won't be too competitive on the car thing.  I know in California our ward had a separate race for the dads so they could channel all of their competitiveness into their own cars and let the boys do their own thing.

3 comments:

arnellfam said...

So did you choke when you paid for that shirt? I can't believe how much it costs to keep my scouts outfitted!

The clarkes said...

yeah pretty pricey for a simple shirt. I chose not to buy all the extra stuff until I have a better idea what we really need. If there was a DI close by I probably could have found it for less- oh well I suppose with 2 boys there is always hand me downs

Kemi said...

A separate race for dads? I'll have to suggest that to our scout master...